DRESS CODE / APPEARANCE
Appropriate dress, neatness, and cleanliness are expected of all students. Clothing that draws undue attention, interferes with instruction and the educational process, or threatens health and safety is neither appropriate nor acceptable. To ensure consistent enforcement of the dress code, clothing or attire deemed unacceptable or questionable by staff will be referred to an Assistant Principal who will be the final authority. Students who fail to comply with the DeKalb County School District’s dress code requirements and local school expectations, as enumerated below, may be charged with offense #25-Dress Code Violation.
We do not supply clothing to students to correct dress code violations.
- All students receiving their first dress code infraction will receive parent notification, a discipline referral for after school detention and must remain in ISS until the infraction is corrected.
- Students who receive a second infraction will receive one day of In School Suspension (ISS).
- A third infraction will result in one day of Out of School Suspension (OSS).
- A fourth infraction will result in two days of ISS.
- A fifth infraction will result in two days OSS.
- A sixth infraction will result in three days OSS with a Local Formal Hearing.
TO BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH DRESS CODE REQUIREMENTS:
- All students are required to wear shoes. Flip flops (plastic or rubber soles), house shoes, shower shoes, & slippers are NOT permitted for safety reasons.
- Wearing clothing which shows offensive and/or vulgar words, pictures, diagrams, drawings, or includes words or phrases of a violent nature, a disruptive nature, a sexual nature, or words or phrases that are derogatory regarding the ethnic background, color, race, national origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, or disability of a person is prohibited
- Clothing and/or jewelry that are decorated with obscene phrases, inappropriate symbols/facsimiles promoting or depicting gangs, weapons, tobacco, drugs, alcohol, violence, or any language that may be interpreted as abusive or vulgar, will not be allowed on campus.
- Halter tops, tank tops, tube tops, spaghetti straps, extremely low cut tops, or 11 tops revealing undergarments are unacceptable attire. All shirts must have at least a cap-sleeve and midriffs must be covered.
- Shorts, skirts, and slits in skirts must be longer than 3-½ inches above the knee. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Sunglasses, hats, caps, bandanas, combs, head scarves, or any kind of headwear (except those worn for religious purposes) CANNOT be worn in the building. These items should remain in the student's locker until school ends. Warnings will not be given and items will be confiscated.
- The wearing of pants below the waistline is prohibited. Belts must be worn with pants that have belt loops in an effort to decrease sagging.
- Wearing of pajama pants is NOT permitted.
- Wearing leggings as pants is allowed ONLY IF the clothing worn over the tights or leggings completely covers the hips. Sheer panels in leggings above the knee are prohibited.
- Jeans or pants with holes above the knee are prohibited. (No skin must be shown.)
Our Student Dress Code is a generous policy and all students are expected to comply. The administration considers dress code violations to be a flagrant display of insubordination and a disregard for school policy. Appropriate dress is expected from student arrival until student dismissal (Door-to-Door). Please note that students who correct dress code infractions after they get into the building will still have the consequence designated above.